What Drives Us
The mission of the Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services is to support the purpose and goals of the University of Virginia -- its educational, research, patient care, and public service missions -- by purchasing and providing quality goods and services at competitive prices, proper financial stewardship for payments, and providing responsive and responsible service to all University departments.
We achieve our mission by dedication to excellence in customer service, providing avenues of access to businesses, processing orders in a timely manner, streamlining operations, pursuing cost savings, identifying new sources of supply, developing relationships with small, minority, and women-owned vendors, and complying with all laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Our departmental vision is, “Engage, Collaborate, and Empower.”
These values drive our mission, vision, and goals:
- Client Focused: Everything we do has client satisfaction at its core.
- Professional: We are experts in our fields and adhere to legal and ethical standards. We use this expertise to empower our clients to make the best business decisions for their operations.
- Proactive: We add the greatest value by being involved as early as possible.
- Collaborative: We believe that engaging our clients as partners and bringing expert resources together creates value and provides solutions.
- Innovative: We seek out new solutions and continuously improve our performance.
Code of Ethics
- Give first consideration to the objectives and policies of the University of Virginia.
- Strive to obtain the maximum value for each dollar of expenditure.
- Decline personal gifts or gratuities.
- Grant all competitive suppliers equal consideration insofar as state or federal statute and institutional policy permit.
- Conduct business with potential and current suppliers in an atmosphere of good faith, devoid of intentional misrepresentation.
- Demand honesty in sales representation whether offered through the medium of a verbal or written statement, an advertisement, or a sample of the product.
- Receive consent of originator of proprietary ideas and designs before using them for competitive purchasing purposes.
- Make every reasonable effort to negotiate an equitable and mutually agreeable settlement of any controversy with a supplier; and/or be willing to submit any major controversies to arbitration or other third party review, insofar as the established policies of the University permit.
- Accord a prompt and courteous reception insofar as conditions permit to all who call on legitimate business missions.
- Cooperate with trade, industrial and professional associations, and with governmental and private agencies for the purposes of promoting and developing sound business methods.
- Foster fair, ethical and legal trade practices.
- Counsel and cooperate with National Association of Educational Procurement members and promote a spirit of unity and a keen interest in professional growth among them.