Accounts Payable Basics
This information is an overview of accounts payable for our internal UVA customers.
For information for suppliers or non-suppliers about invoicing and payments, please see For Vendors.
Registering Suppliers and Non-Suppliers
The UVA Marketplace Registration Portal is a new module of the UVA Marketplace that will enable Procurement & Supplier Diversity Services (PSDS) to better manage the University's registration processes. More importantly, by improving our operations, we're reducing the time it takes to get a new supplier or non-supplier into the Marketplace.
Here's what you can do in the Portal:
- Invite new suppliers to register with the University for Purchase Orders (POs)/payments
- Register or invite new non-suppliers (research participants, honoraria recipients, or individuals not providing goods or services)
- Request updates or add new sites for existing suppliers and non-suppliers
For questions, please contact the Supplier Management team at firstname.lastname@example.org or see Supplier and Non-Supplier Registration For Departments.
Invoices and Receiving
All payments for goods and services must be processed by Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services. The payment procedures vary depending on the method used to purchase.
Invoices for Purchase Orders (PO)
An invoice should state what products or services a supplier provided, along with the quantities and pricing for each. It should include the PO number and a clearly-marked total. Suppliers should send PO invoices directly to Accounts Payable by cXML, by email at email@example.com or by mail to:
University of Virginia Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services
P.O. Box 400197
Charlottesville, VA 22904
Invoices or Statements for Payment Vouchers (Direct Payment)
Invoices to be paid by Payment Voucher should be sent to the department. It is the department's responsibility to submit Payment Vouchers promptly and correctly so that vendors receive timely payments, as required by law. These payments must be reconciled to the Integrated System monthly.
Viewing Invoices for Reconciliation
Invoice information for departments can now be found in the UBI AP Module. For a guide on finding invoice information in the module, visit Invoice Lookup for Departments.
Users must have UBI Finance responsibilities to access this module. For more information on UBI access, visit UBI: Get Started.
Receiving is required for all purchases in order to make sure that we are paying for what we ordered. For purchases under $10,000, receiving is automatically done in the system by "negative confirmation" -- once PSDS receives an invoice, the department is notified to view the invoice information prior to payment. If everything is correct, the department does not need to do anything. If the invoice is incorrect, the department places it on hold using the Invoice Correction Form. Accounts Payable Forms.
For purchases over $10,000, the University requires manual receiving to be done through the Integrated System or in iProcurement. For Job Aids on completing receiving, visit the Finance Outreach and Compliance Job Aids and Q&As for Purchasing and Accounts Payable.
Invoices in "hold" status are those that are waiting for receiving, reference a PO with no funds, or other related reasons. These invoices will not be paid until the hold is released, so it's important for departments to work with Accounts Payable and/or their suppliers to fix the problems causing the hold.
For more information about hold statuses and how to resolve them: AP Hold Code Information
Payment Vouchers: Direct, Non-PO Payments
Payment Vouchers are typically used to pay individuals, government agencies, performers, research participants, or honoraria.
- Use the Goods and Services Procurement Guide to check if a good or service can be paid for with a payment voucher.
- Access required: PO Purchaser, requested using the Electronic Self-Help Access Request Process (ESHARP).
- Recipients should be registered as "Non-Suppliers" in the UVA Marketplace Supplier Portal, unless the receiving party is a company or organization being paid for an approved reason (reimbursement, refund, etc). Non-Supplier Registration and FAQs for departments.
- For instructions on entering payment vouchers, see the Finance Outreach and Compliance AP Training Guide.
- Many goods or services require forms to be attached to the Payment Voucher in order to be approved. Accounts Payable Forms
TRAVEL & EXPENSE (T&E) CARD - PAY ON THE GO
The Travel and Expense Card is the University's “one card” solution (formerly known as the Pcard) that allows the cardholder to make small-dollar purchases of goods, services, and travel expenses. The T&E Card combines the previous purchasing and travel card programs into one card. The card is a corporate liability, which means the University pays the bill on behalf of the cardholder.
The University Travel and Expense Card is the preferred method of payment for all employee-initiated travel, meals, and entertainment expenses for the following reasons:
- Does not incur international fees, cash withdrawal fees, or sales tax on goods and services that are exempted from sales tax.
- VISA provides cardholder additional assistance, insurance, and services for purchases paid with a Travel and Expense Card.
ExpenseUVA - Reimbursements for UVA Employees
ExpenseUVA is the University's easy way to reimburse UVA employees for both travel and non-travel purchases.
Additional Payment Services
The Accounts Payable payments team also provides the following services:
- Stopping payment or reissuing checks, and providing copies of canceled checks.
- Issuing wire transfers when payment can not be made with the T&E Card or any other standard University form of payment.
- Providing cash advances to employees for expenses that cannot be readily or most economically processed through normal purchasing or accounts payable procedures. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Processing petty cash disbursement requests.
For more information and forms for these services, please visit Accounts Payable Forms.
For accounts payable tools, training, resources, and policies: Accounts Payable Resources